This has been one of the first times in a long time where I just wanted to scream! I know it has nearly happened before but today was just one of those days. It seemed like a good day to begin with. I walked in and it just makes my day when my kiddos run over to me all excited I am there. But, for some reason, don’t know if they slept really well, but they were just on fire! Out of control, didn’t know what to do kind of a day. It was definitely a day filled with highs and lows.
Well to start with a high. I got two new kids today! Two girls it turns out. Instead of a majority of boys in my room, the score now stands 4-6 in favor of girls. So I am still trying to adjust to girls instead of trucks, balls, and hitting. So both of these girls came from Isolation since they must be old enough to be in my room now. One of them just turned 1 and she is a doll! Still trying to come up with names for them but they are both sweet. The one year old has huge blue eyes and adorable auburn hair as well. The other one is darker with a shaved head, which is why I wasn’t sure if it was a boy or girl when I first met her. But her real name seemed to give it away, though one can never tell. I already love them. The other one is mobile so she is already falling into place in my room. However, with two new kids it brought a whole new set of problems. Blue Diva of course LOVED the one year old because she was like a doll. The more I am around BD the more I realize how motherly she really is. When the other one was crying today she just went over all concerned and stroked her head and said, “Gata, gata”. She doesn’t talk too much, just whines usually, but it was funny because that word (well it means a lot of things) but moms will use this when they are trying to get a baby to calm done like “there, there its ok”. So that was definitely a high.
However, her, Iggy, Queenie, and even Bambi and Winnie were just on fire today! Ada kept leaving in the room alone with all 8 of the other kids while she fed the other ones. Not a big deal usually because I guess it shows that she thinks I can take of things while we were gone. But, they just act up so much more when the main workers aren’t there because they know I am not as strict and won’t yell at them. So new kiddo #2 today was crying and I knew she was tired. She kept rubbing her eyes and Ada wasn’t in the room to put her down. So I took initiative (a good thing for me to do) and took off her shoes and put her in one of the rooms. But of course here follows 4 of my kids cause they think it is a game to open up the other rooms. They kept giggling and running away from me as I was trying to lay kiddo #2 down. I would try to take one out when another would keep running in. Then of course the one I was holding would flop so I would have to put them down and couldn’t get them out. They kept doing it. They were driving me crazy! I finally herded all of them out the door. The fun didn’t end there. Blue Diva loves to be held, but today she thought it would be funny to spit a little on my pants while I was holding here. But if I put her down then she would just hang all over me and whine. Then Queenie was the most on fire today! She was a MONSTER! I don’t think she got very much sleep because she was crying the whole day. For no reason. Someone would try to hold her or get her off the ground (cause she kept throwing herself on the ground) and she would flop and start crying hysterically. Lunch didn’t go smoothly again with her either. Iggy was just another story today. I am still not sure what to think of this little guy cause he will be fine for one minute and then another minute he will just start crying, for no reason. Today he just loved tormenting the other little kids (and me) by hitting and pushing them. Then he would cry if he got in trouble. The last little monster was Bambi, of all of the kids. It is always so amazing to see him laugh and smile but today was just a headache. While I was trying to calm the others down he would open the main door and crawl out. Laughing the whole time he was crawling away from me. And yes, he can’t even walk but he is tall enough to reach the door handle if he pulls himself up.
Another thing, but kind of funny, was new kiddo #1. She really is adorable. But she was set on the mattress because she can’t walk yet or crawl really. But she can hold herself up. However, three times today she bent too far forward and landed bent in half on her forehead and she couldn’t of course get herself up. It was actually kind of funny cause it happened in that exact position every time. But she was hurt and I had to always rush over and pick her up. Usually not a big deal, except today I had to deal with everyone else. Phew! Seriously today took a lot of work.
On top of that…. I had my first experience with kids getting shots. I am going to have to get used to it if I am going to be a nurse but it broke my heart to see and I am not even their real mom! Four of my kids had to wait for the longest shot I have ever seen I swear. It took like a minute to go all the way in. They didn’t even know what was going on until they started to feel the pain. I was charge of pulling their shirt so they could get access to their arm. I even held Winnie while she got a shot. It was so, so sad to see my kiddos in pain. Luckily most of them recovered fairly fast and ate lunch just fine. But it wasn’t the best climax of my day at the orphanage.
Even with all the “lows” of my day I am still grateful for this experience. I know this whole internship would be hard in different ways but I think that all these things are only strengthening my character. Well, at least I hope. I am going to have to deal with these kinds of things if I ever become a mom and be the “bad guy” when I am nurse and giving shot. So it is best for me to be exposed to these kinds of things now. Despite their behavior today they are still amazing kids and I love them to death. They just need love no matter how they act because they are still just little kids.
Cu mult drag,
Dani
No comments:
Post a Comment