Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I am pretty much super woman

Ok, so maybe I am just tooting my own horn by saying that but I really felt proud of myself today.  Today was one of those days, that despite the kids' craziness, I actually felt accomplished.  So to start of the day I went to the orphanage as usual except when I came in 6 of my kids were on the beds.  And the other 4 were in chairs.  Alot of times they will just put Bambi and Doll in chairs since they haven't quite mastered walking but they get into everything.  Kind of sad sometimes but this is their way of dealing with them when so many other things are going on.  Anyways I look over and Cami and a few other workers from the Bambi Girls were taking inventory.  It looked like they were going through ever piece of linen and article of clothing they had in the room.  Seemed like a lot of work.  But what was really surprising was when Teo came into the room.  With her she brought a little boy from Ashley's room.  He is Doll's older brother.  He is only like 3 so they are both really little.

I had been told they would be leaving this week but I just didn't know it would be today!  I first walked in and took her out of her seat so I could play with her.  It was then that Teo walked in and said that they were going to the foster family!  So Cami, already frazzled because she was so busy today, rushed to clean Doll up and get her ready.  I don't know what happens back in the bathroom but the kids always scream when getting changed.  I think kids in general just don't enjoy getting dressed or their diapers changed.  Anyways I could tell Cami was having a hard day so I kind of took the reigns in helping her.  I immediately tried to hold Doll so she would stop screaming.  She really enjoys me holding her so it usually work.  For the next little bit I was in charge of holding her so the Teo and Cami could get her coat and stuff on.  Teo even took pictures of her and her brother.  It was so precious when her brother came in the room because he immediately got a smile on his face and went over to Doll (who I was still holding).  He held her hand and he was just happy to be with her.  I think they were a social case where they were taken out of their home and put into the orphanage till they could find another home for them.  So it is such a blessing they are able to go together!  It really just makes me so happy.  It was so sad to say goodbye but even Teo told me as they were leaving "this is good for them".  I really do know that.  As hard as it is for me to say goodbye it doesn't matter because they are really doing their best to find the best environment for the kids' development.

But, after they left and the inventory was done my worker kind of just disappeared leaving me with all the kids.  After I while I just decided to things on my own.  I felt kind of like I was in charge of helping them.  When I could tell my kids were really tired I even put a few of them done for a nap, something my worker is usually in charge of doing.  Then when I say my worker still doing inventory and it was snack time I offered to take the kids to snack.  I took them, sat them all down, and even go their snacks.  Usually I just wait because the worker will say when to go to la masa and usually gets the food for them.  But really my worker even told me she was having a bad day.  I could tell how stressed she was so I didn't mind at all in helping them.  But I helped them all with their snacks and took them back to the room.  After that I was alone with them till after 11:00am when my worker came back.  Usually she will get Bug and Mohawk in chairs to be ready to eat but I did it without her asking.  She was trying to tell me something that she needed my help but I was already getting Mohawk in his chair.  She turned around and say that I already did what she was asking and she was so grateful.  Cami kept giving me kisses on both cheeks as a way of thanking me. 

Then for lunch I ended up feeding two of my kiddos at once. I would take one plate on my lap and while that kid was chewing I would feed a spoonful to the other.  Not an easy feat especially with Queenie being one of them.  Today was longer than usually and I didn't leave the orphanage till 12:45 today.  So it was definitely a busy day for me.  But, honestly, I did kind of feel like a super woman.  I always believed my mom, and all moms out there, were super moms, and today I almost felt like that.  I will probably never measure up to a supermom but I was still kind of proud of myself.  If that is not too bold to say.  I hope that when I get back home I can continue to initiate more things because it really can help people out and get things done.

Mare vis,

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment