Friday, September 17, 2010

"Lets talk about you and me..."

Buna Ziua everybody!

So due to everyone's much appreciative interest in my current happenings, I am starting a blog! 

Where do I even begin? I think I will take it one step at a time and just talk about my day.  Today was actually a great day at the orphanage!  To start off in explaining everything...there are 7 of us girls here doing this internship program.  There are 5 different rooms in the orphanage and 2 rooms at apartments.  Just last week on Saturday we chose which rooms we would be in for the remainder of the semester.

I actually got my initial second choice, but you know... it is now my first choice.  I love it!  It is called Bambi boys (Bambi room 2).  So yes there are pretty much all boys, but also 3 girls, and they range in ages from about 1-3 years.  I have the best room, but of course I am being biased...

More about the children in later posts, but I wanted to share the experience that is one I will never forget today!
You might be wondering about the title of this post...and with good reason because you might recognize it as lyrics from a song...of which I did not put the actual main lyrics in.
So on with the story...

My usual day starts out with me walking to the orphanage and going upstairs to my assigned room.  When I get there, there are only about 3 kids up at a time.  Around 10 is when snack time in and that is I help feeding.  More kids are up by then but out at a time there is only 6-7 kids. Yesterday I had the great pleasure of taking a few of the kids outside to play but today I was asked to stay inside and watch two of the kids who were up.  It turned out to be a great day! It is always awesome to have alone time with the kids and to just get to know their individual personalities and needs.  One little boy is struggling to walk, despite being about 20 months old.  Normally, the workers are a little hesitant about getting the kids out of the baby walkers they put them in, but when they left that is just what I did.  I spent some time with these little boys just helping them walk and strengthening their legs hopefully.  It was awesome to have a smaller group and give them the attention they crave!

But...the memorable incident occurred just before lunch.  The workers (there are 2 main ones) like getting the kids ready for lunch about 15 minutes before noon (which is when I leave right after lunch) by just putting cloths over them and placing the smaller ones in rolling chair things. There is usually music playing, but only the most popular ones from the regular radio.  And yes...most all songs they play here are in English.  I think it is like that in alot of places in Europe.  So, while we were waiting a song came on and one of the little girls in the chair was crying but then starting shaking to the music.  The worker started to say "Bravo!" and wanted to get her to dance more.  I have never seen this side to Ada (the main worker) because she just started busting out happy dance moves and getting all the little ones to start dancing.  She turned up the radio and I grabbed one of the kids to dance.  Everyone was dancing and having fun when I started to really listen to the song being played.  To my horror I prayed Ada didn't understand these words in English and that the kids would never repeat this song.  "Lets talk about sex, baby...Let's talk about you and me.  Let's talk about sex! (which repeats about 15 times during the chorus)"  This song is horrible but it was just so funny seeing all the little ones dancing and Ada dancing with them!  I couldn't help but laughing after at the whole situation and this song.  It seriously was just an overall good day and it even continued when I got to see one of my little girls who is in the hospital hoping she will be done with the testing very soon. 

Well this is all for now!

Cu mult drag (with love),

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment