Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Taste of Romania

Today was such a busy yet fun day for a Saturday!  Early this week I was looking forward to do nothing but sleeping and relaxing on the weekend but then all of us girls decided to get a cultural proof done for our class.  You know what, it was definitely fun and worth giving up a whole Saturday dedicated to just that.

Our proof required that we learn and make 3 Romanian dishes.  Luckily for us, we have 3 friends who are Romanian and who knows some yummy recipes.  So I am very excited to say that I have learned some new recipes I can use back at home.  We started at 10:00 in the morning by going to Kauflan, a grocery store.  Shopped for two hours and then started cooking around 1:30.  We didn't finish the dishes until about 6:30!  So literally we took shifts and cooked the whole day. 

In case you were wondering....We made:
1.  Ciorba(soup) called Supa de pui (chicken soup)
2. Ardei Umpult (stuffed peppers)
3.  Salata (just a simple Romanian-style salad)

I personally, as those who know me very well, don't really enjoy vegetables.  But, I do love trying new things and am willing to try just about anything!  I definitely loved all of these recipes especially the stuffed peppers which contained rice, pork, carrots, onions, and tomato sauce (plus some more odds and ends).  I really am loving experiencing a new country and its culture.  Trying new things is all part of the experience and if I had held myself back simply because I normally think I don't "like" something I would have missed out on something really great.  Despite the crazy, crazy experience at the grocery store the day was good.  I got a little stressed and overwhelmed and the store because I am not used to such a high degree of chaos.  I volunteered to push the cart (big mistake for someone who gets easily high strung) and got rammed by other carts, and had tons of people surrounding me on every side in a hurry to get food.  Pretty much it could have been a cultural proof by itself.  But, I am still glad I went and got to ride a taxi on the way back!  Yes, pathetic I know but I have never ridden in a taxi until I got to Romania.  And six lei ( about 2 dollars total for 5 girls) for about a 10 minute drive is not too bad when you have a ton of heavy groceries to haul back. 

After eating a few of us learned a few Romania dances.  One of them is the penguin dance and watching different dances just shows how happiness can be expressed through dance.  I LOVE dancing and this just makes me so excited to see a new side of the Romanian people as I watch them dance.

Meanless to say despite my other worries back at home I love it here.  I am loving the experience and am so grateful that I have been given this opportunity to come.  I know I was meant to be here, at this time, in this place, I hope I can really come to understand how significant that is by the end of my adventures here in Iasi. 

Cu mult drag everyone,

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment