Not too much happened for me today really. Kind of a bummer I missed out on a fun trip today but I hope we will do it again in the future! We did, however, have church today and it still astounds me that every Sunday I have 3 hours of church all in Romanian! But, we do have translators that speak Romanian and English so I get to feel the spirit no matter what language is being spoken. It is a new experience having church in a foreign country but one I am glad I get to have.
Today's blog I just wanted to share some random cultural tidbits about Romania. Some exclusive to Iasi, some to just the hospital and some to just our apartment!
-It is basically taboo to have a window and door open at the same time. The current could bring sickness.
-It is kind of rude to whistle or sing while eating at someone's house.
-It is also a taboo for women to sit on the cold, bare floors. It could freeze their ovaries.
-Pigeons seem to be the nation's bird because they are everywhere!
-There are more stray dogs in Romania than anywhere else I have ever been.
-We have gas stoves, but this also includes us needing to light the stove where we need to cook with a match.
-The toilets here aren't too strong so we have to throw our used toilet paper in the trash can. Yep. In the trash can.
-People smoke everywhere including the hospital and while holding small infants.
-The elevators can only hold up to 4 people and no more than 320kg.
-Romanians also say "oopsie-daisy" when kids fall or get hurt (except of course it is in romanian)
-Parascheva is the city of Iasi's saint. She is located at a church where she her remains supposedly reside and you can even "touch her hand" if you visit.
-The Romanian currency is called Lei or Ron and it is about 3 to 1 in US dollars.
-You can buy fresh bread for about 50 cents
-They have the best little pastry shops located all throughout the city (I am possibly biased but it is a very hard temptation on the way to the orphanage everyday)
-You can't drink the water unless you have grown up on it your whole life or the microorganisms could get you very sick
-So...we drink bottled "Apa Plata" meaning the flat (non carbonated) water.
-You have to put in a 50 boni ( like the Romanian cents) in order to use a shopping cart
-You also have to pay for grocery bags
-There are lots of little old ladies with purple hair (not quite sure why but I suppose it is better than white?)
-I have never seen gypsies before until coming to Europe. They have a florescent colored clothing and they get a bad rap when they are really not too bad
-Most of the cars her are super nice BMW (even the charter buses and ambulances).
-But...I would rather drive anywhere but here, it is like driving in Jamaica...not alot of rules so people just kind of make up there own and let each other in. Even if we supposedly have the walking right away they go anyways. But hey it is still a cool experience!
-In case you were wondering. Iasi (sorry the s does have a little comma thing under it) is pronounced "yash". I's in Romanian have their own language...sorta...
-They are not outwardly as open as far as smiling and laughing as in America. But, they are such nice people! Don't get me wrong they are a happy people!
-Strangely they are more blunt and forward about what is on their minds though...
-I live literally less than 5 minutes walk from the big Cultural Palace. I walk by a castle everyday to the orphanage!
-I also live close to the Bank of Transylvania-which is pretty neat ha ha
All in all there are so many other things I could talk about, and some I am still coming to understand. But I am loving my experience here. Hopefully when I get my hours done for the internship I can spend a little more time just visiting different parts of Romania and the surrounding area. I will continue to keep you posted on all my newest adventures and I hope everyone has some exciting ones of their own!
Mare vis,
Dani
No comments:
Post a Comment