Buna Ziua!
Today was another great, yet very tiring day. Most of what I wanted to focus on today occurred in the hospital and led me to have a new respect for mothers everywhere! Seriously, caring for children is one of the most tiring, yet also most rewarding, careers there are. Not only does it require physical contribution but emotional and even mental aspects as well. I know it takes me great patience to not want to rip out my hair or even collapse from exhaustion sometimes while working with them.
But, today was definitely one at the hospital that taught me a new lesson in future child care taking. At the orphanage I work with children that are toddlers to around 4 years old. For the most part they understand what to do and what not to do when they are told. I also don't really have the responsibility of cleaning or changing their diaper while I am there. However, at the hospital it is a different story...
Many of the children at the hospital that are orphans are babies. In fact, I kind of have a designated floor which has kind of come to be "my floor". I have floor 5 as my floor because that is really the only floor I have worked on while at the hospital, other than the very first time I went where I was on the 7th. But, the 5 floor is the best, again this is probably my biased. It is the cardio floor so all the ones with heart conditions are sent there. Also, this floor most always has at least 2 kids that don't have moms. I love working on this floor and I feel like the nurses are pretty comfortable with seeing me there now.
Like I said, today's blog is a tribute to my mother-in-law. Other than being the mother of my wonderful Andrew, she also happened to be the mother of twins ( obviously Andrew is a twin). So, today I had just a small glimpse into the life of those mothers with multiples and even those who had small children close in age. It is crazy! So a shout out to my mother in law, my own amazing mother, and all the other woman who have experienced this. You are the so amazing, and it truly takes a strong,dedicated woman to be a mother (and just a motherly figure).
Today I went up to the 5th floor by myself since my partner needed to visit a little boy from her room in the orphanage that was in intensive care. So I went up there and the nurses showed me which kids had no moms. I already new which ones because they are always in the same two rooms and these kiddos are ones that I have been seeing all week. There were three (two in one room and one in the other), but luckily the little boy was asleep because I was thrown into a surprise. Immediately I saw what I needed to do. The two girls were both needing their diaper changed. They are around the same age (yes both babies), so meanless to say I was running around like a mad woman. We will just call them baby 1 and baby 2. Baby 2 was screaming, and needed a diaper change badly, while Baby 1 had soaked everything. Baby 1 also had a huge surprise as well in her diaper. How can so much come out of such a small person? It was all spilling out everywhere! So... I had to strip the clothes and all the bedding from the bed while trying to calm the Baby 2 down. I grabbed the nurse to take all the clothing and asked for new ones as I moved Baby 1 into the same crib with the other baby. This was the only available space. I then started changing Baby 1's diaper when new clothes were being fetched. But, Baby 2 was still in hysterics so I moved to change her diaper. Since they are always in layers of clothes it is always fun just trying to get to their diaper. I changed Baby 2 and was slipping the new one underneath when she started pooping again! I was like seriously? So I had to quickly stop her as the nurse was handing me new clothes to change the other baby. Yes, the whole time she was crying. I finally got Baby 2's diaper changed and then had to put new sheets on the other crib and move Baby 1 back into her after putting on her clothes. Then I had to hold Baby 2 till she calmed down (which felt like a while). Luckily Baby 1 was in a pretty good mood today so all I had to do was entertain her while I was holding Baby 2. PHEW! After about an hour my partner came back and Baby 2 was already asleep. So I played with Baby 1 and then went over to Baby 3's room where I stayed and entertained him.
He also needed a diaper change....
Meanless to say I have a whole new respect for mothers. I only had a taste of it and I am already tired haha. But, today was definitely fun and I am learning alot about the kids. In fact, Aubrea taught me something new about when kids bite and don't let go. Wish I known that early cause that happened today. Of course, Queenie loves to take toys just because another kid is playing with it. And sometimes, like today, she will bite them really hard. Today, Queenie bit Bambi on the shoulder really hard cause she wanted his toy. Poor thing. Oh the joys of children. However, still living the dream and still loving life!
Mare vis,
Dani
No comments:
Post a Comment