Thursday, September 23, 2010

Small and Simple Things

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. (Alma 37: 6)"

The cultural of Romania is made of simple, yet wonderful things.  The more I am here, the more I realize how profound small things can be.

In the orphanage, the simplest object can make a child's day.  I have learned that those expensive, brand-named toys are not necessary when it comes to the happiness of a child! Balloons, bubbles, balls.  Those three things are all that is ever needed to bring a smile (not to mention calm them down) to a kids face.  Today, there were several instances where the kids were just having one of those days.  All of the boys and Queenie were out, so this consisted of crying, taking eachother's toys,  and hitting one another.  But, there were those moments were I was able to take control of the situation.  Getting ready for Masa is always a problem with the kids getting antsy and upset out of hunger.  So I simple reached up to the highest shelf and grabbed the bubbles.  Instantly, I had four little boys staring at me in awe.  They calmed down and focused there energy on popping the bubbles.  Bubbles are just small, simple things but it can make a crying child become a little cherubim. 

I also realize that those simple actions make my day as well.  For instance, my goal everyday is to get a smile and laugh out of Bambi.  I had read in his profile that he usually doesn't due to him seeming emotionally detached.  But, when I blowed those bubbles he was all giggles and smiles, climbing up towards me to get a better reach.  Those smiles make my day worth it.  Mario, sort of our facilitator, said "I don't care how many hours you work, I care more about what you do when you are with those kids.  If you can just make their day little better than all is worth it."  I try to think about this when i approach every situation.  Because even when I am frustrated and exhausted because of them climbing or hitting me, those little moments make my day.  So I hope that I can live up to making their day out of small and simple things.

Also, Little Blue Diva is still in the hospital but I still see how profound simple toys can be in entertaining her!  She was fascinated just from me blowing my bubble gum!  She sate in awe trying to copy my ever movement hoping that gum would magically appear in her mouth.  I have realized that I don't need things like books or even regular toys.  She finds such happiness in a baby wipe.  Every time I see her, her face lights up and she points to my backpack.  She knows inside is a baby wipe for her to use.  From there she cleans herself, the book, and then proceeds to try to make a diaper for her stuffed bunny.  Just seeing her fascinated by something so simple just makes her adorable.  She definitely wears me out, but getting a smile and laugh from tickling her makes me know that everything I am doing is worth it.

Romania is a simple country.  If you are looking for a flashy, touristy country, Romania is the last place you would want to visit.  There is not alot to attract those looking for alot to do. But, I have fallen in love with the simplicity of it all.  Overall, people are poor and there are not alot of "attractions" , but the people are so nice and understanding that you realize you don't need alot to be happy.  The food is good and the culture is rich with history and cathedrals that you find the daily walks help with getting to know the culture of Iasi.  I know I was meant to come and serve here in Iasi.  I am still frustrated with the language barrier and from exhaustion.  But, I know these kids are worth every second of it.  I hope just by being there they can realize how much I love them.  It only takes those simple things to make there day and their simple reactions make mine.  Right now I can't say that I know great things will happen because they probably won't.  Most of these kids won't be adopted or even fostered.  They will probably end up being in an institution for the rest of their lives.  But, I do believe that my being here will allow them to know that there are at least people who do care about them.  I want to make them the best they can be.  Perhaps someday I can share how my experience in Romania has allowed me to become the best I can be. 

So everybody like always, Mare vis (dream big!),

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment