Today was just one of those feel good days when people let you know that you belong. This of course came from several people because when it comes from more than one source it just makes you feel good inside. So this morning the girls met with Dr. Porter, Aaron (the Kennedy Center international facilitator), Mario, and the manager of the orphanage! We just sat in the conference room while Dr. Porter and Aaron expressed their gratitude of allowing us to come and the real honor it is to be facilitating this program. Basically alot of the logistics that help the Romanian Internship program run smoothly. But....the manager of the orphanage really said alot of things that made all of us feel welcomed.
She expressed her gratitude of us being there. Apparently, because of the economic hardships, there are only 13 actual workers out of the 26 they usually have! So basically, we are very welcomed there! She said we were doing a great job and she could tell we work hard and love the children. She also said she can tell a difference in the children when there aren't BYU girls there in the rooms (aka the two week gap between semesters). Even if it isn't the exact same girl the children act differently when they recognize the girls who represent the BYU program. She said there was a good spirit we bring that makes the children feel loved and helps them grow. It really, really made me feel special that even the manager of the orphanage can recognize the difference we are trying to make in all of the childrens' lives.
Another breakthrough occurred today from one of my main workers, Ada, in my room. Normally, she can come across as a little standoff-ish but in reality she is so good with teaching the kids and even being understanding today. But today was the first day she gave me some food for snack! She had never done this before so I wasn't expecting anything. But she came over to me after la masa with the kids and brought me one of the wafers she feed the kids and a metal cup containing the kids drink. I never knew what was in the cup they drink out of...turns out it is juice from the whole apricots inside of it. It is actually very sweet juice so I can see why the kids love drinking the juice and eating the pieces of fruit inside. Her gesture made me feel like the longer I am there the more we warm up to each other. I really love my room and I am getting comfortable in taking charge of helping the workers in making things run smoothly while also giving love to my kiddos.
Dr. Porter and Aaron came over tonight with Mario and her daughter after the hospital and brought pizza for all of us to eat. After we ate they of course shared with us different positives and of course things we need to be aware about the program here. But Dr. Porter shared something with us from the scripture that really touched me. He talked about when Christ came and ministered to the people and the angels came down and surrounded the little children. In essence he compared that to God sending us to be in this program. He said we are like the angels that come and care for these children. I can't be full of myself by comparing myself to one of God's heavenly messengers but I can say that I agree when he said we were sent here for a reason.
Despite the financial, physical, and emotional sacrifices I did to come here I know it is all worth it. This experience will be worth it if I get those small experiences everyday. The smiles, laughs, kids learning to walk, and even kindness from the workers make this trip worth it. Not to mention the amazing, unique cultural experience I get while I am here. I know that this will be one of those experiences that make a profound change forever on my life. Much of what I do here is considered service and charity but it is something that I have always dreamed of doing and I hope I am at least bringing some small good in this world.
Mare vis,
Dani
No comments:
Post a Comment