Friday, October 29, 2010

Cupcake Adventure

Buna Ziua Everyone!

Another great, ok AMAZING DAY!  Well there are plenty more of those to come in the near future but today was just plain fun.  I don't even know where to start... 

But, I did go to the orphanage today.  Man, I really do love my kiddos.  All of them, even the new ones.  And yes in case you were wondering I think I have thought of names for them.  The little boy's name is Dennis.  Here is a quick story about him.  Some of the girls had been with a little boy at the hospital for a while.  They just called him Dennis because no one seemed to know his real name or something.  So, one day they went and he wasn't there.  They were sad because they had really come to love that little guys but then they found out he went to the Section 2 where we work.  And yes, he ended up in my room.  There you have it, Dennis.  As for the little girl.  I really don't know much about her.  I do know that she just turned 1 in September and is already walking.  Crazy, how children develop at different places sometimes.  But, I couldn't really think of a name that really suited here.  She is a ball of fun and another little chunkster!  She is just adorable so I decided to call her Winnie like Winnie the Pooh cause she is snugly, pudgy, cutie pie.  I have only had them a few day but I am getting to know them bit by bit.  Winnie even gets really excited to see me walk into the room now!  But, there is another reason my day at the orphanage was amazing....I had my favorite worker there.  Her name is Kami and she is just a hoot.  Today she even said that I am like here daughter, and then said I wish.  So it really made me feel special today.  But, I did something just out of inspiration.  We are having a ward Halloween party here and I invited her and her family!  She has a 13 year old son so I know that dressing up and other games seems like something she would enjoy.  She has heard about our church before from past girls so it makes me happy to see that she knows my standards (like today she asked if I drank coffee and then said she knew I didn't because I was Mormon).  But I really did invite here just because it sounds like something her and her son would enjoy and because I really just like her as a person!  So who knows if she will show up, but at least I tried because I really would be happy to spend time with her if she came. Who knows what will happen.  But it is cool that finally my "work" life can cross into reality as well...aka inviting her and her family to come to a party.  I wanted Teo, the manager of the orphanage, to come but she is crazy swamped at the orphanage.  Things aren't going to well I guess right now and there is a HUGE meeting so the head staff are really busy.  I feel so bad for them because I have seen only a glimpse of how much it really takes to run an institution like this.  It is a lot of work!

I didn't go to the hospital today.  Today was just one of those days....but I did go to the mall with my friend Elizabeth.  I really do love shopping for other people cause I love seeing people all dressed up and happy.  We were finding a costume for her but the "costume" was really something she could wear again, like all the time.  She is going as Blair from Gossip Girl!  Ha ha love it.  Kind of a guilty pleasure for us.  But she got a WHOLE outfit, from top to bottom.   She said it was also kind of an excuse to shop.  It was so much fun.  I would really like to buy some things while I am here as well if I can.  For many reasons.  First, there is no sales tax here.  It is included in the price.  Second, things here are just cheaper and it seems like it is nearly the same quality if not better.  Third, I have decided I really like European style, it is just way for stylish than the American grunge look.  Funny I see it like that cause I am always in scrubs.  But, why can't I try to look better at home sometimes?

But the third best thing of my day just ended.  Ashley and I made cupcakes!  And boy were they an adventure.  We got all of the stuff Tuesday to make it for the party Saturday.  We knew that we would definitely not have enough time to do it all the day of so we made half of them tonight.  We tried to improvise because things here are slightly different.  Even the milk is processed (or maybe not) different than back home.  We did borrow an electric mixer from one of our friends here so that made it easier.  We made a vanilla cupcake recipe we found online and then we are making homemade chocolate frosting. Then we are going to decorate each with a gummy worm and crumbled cookies on top.  So far they are a success!  Granted they rose really weird.  Like a little ball is underneath in only the very middle.  Weird.  Don't know why.  But they taste good and they can look a little weird because it is Halloween! 

Tomorrow is going to be another great day so I will keep everyone posted.  Keep dreaming big and I love you all!

Cu mult drag,

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment