Sunday, October 31, 2010

Going To See Dracula!

Buna Sera!

I finally put up the pictures from the Halloween party!  Actually, I can't say finally because the party only happened yesterday.  But, I am so stinking excited for tomorrow I can hardly stand it.  It is definitely going to be a character building experience though...This week I am going to do many things I haven't done before that I can finally say I have.  I say never let a new experience pass you by because who knows when the opportunity will pass by again?  So I am trying to take life by the horns and do everything I can to live up all my experiences.

Today was Sunday.  I really do love Sundays, the only day out of the week I can semi-relax.  But even this particular day felt busy.  We went to our church and I am still amazed I listen to three hours of Romanian just from church.  I really wish I understood more but I can still feel the spirit so that is all that matters.  On my own, to be honest, I can't understand like anything.  It really does take alot more effort not to let my mind wander.  Luckily, the amazing missionaries get to practice their talents, and of course help us, by translating most of the meetings.  So they really have been a blessing.  And one of the, Sora Holden, happens to be on the same train with us leaving to Bucharest tomorrow!  She will really be a help in showing us the know-how of Romania trains plus I like here a lot.  She is just the best! 

But we got home around 2:00 by the time we walked back and then at 5, 3 of us girls and then 3 of our friends went to another church service.  We went to the Metropolitan Church where Sfanta Parascheva's body is supposedly still there.  It was seriously so amazing to attend and see what mass was like for Romanian Orthodox.  This is the church where the line stretches from even outside the church so people can touch the saint's "hand".  It still puts me in awe that I am surrounded by so much history.  An entire street is just dedicated to Cathedrals, Monasteries, and other historical parts of Iasi!  It really makes this town so unique because it is known as the cultural capital of Romania.  But the service was very interesting.  The entire time the priests were chanting and people were standing or bowing, for 2 hours!  It was very humbling and wonderful to see people so spiritually involved in something they believe in for the most part.  It was cool to see the similarities and differences to things we believe in.  The architecture inside really was breath taking.  I feel so lucky to have these experiences!

Speaking of adventures...Tomorrow at 11:30 at night starts mine!

1) ugh...an overnight sleeper train.  But...It is my first train ride!!!  It might not be up to other standards and I probably won't sleep at all but I know it is going to be an adventure.  From what I have heard the bedding they give is less than sanitary,no food, and the tracks are so loud who knows if I can even close my eyes.  But it will be so worth it because it is the start of my adventure!
2) We arrive in Bucharest at 6:30 am.  So very early.  But we have the entire day in the capital!  So we are planning on seeing the People's Palace and Revolutionary Square.  Then we get to stay at a nice hostel in the center of it all.  Again, a first.  My first hostel!  Going to be an experience
3) We sleep in the hostel and then wake up early to take a few hour train ride to Brasov!  Transylvania area!!
4) We have 3 days just in Brasov.  So we have a list of several possibilities.  But for sure on Thursday we are taking a day tour to see Bran and Peles Castle and then a fort!  But there is also a zoo, Singsoare, the Black Church and several other churches and forts
5) Saturday is our last day we board another train and ride back to Iasi and arrive late that night.  A crazy adventure but an amazing one nonetheless

Who knows if I can bring my laptop or what I am going to do about the Internet.  So if anything...talk to everyone next Sunday for an update!

Mare vis, because I know I sure am!

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment