Wednesday, October 20, 2010

La La La La....

There were several high's from today!  I am really loving it here, the people, the kiddos, and just culture here in general.  It is nice to know that I can learn something about Romania everyday!  Never, ever say you can't learn something from somewhere.  You are never too old, learned, or proud to learn something new.

So at the orphanage is was filled with both high's and low's sadly.  My low's were mostly from Iggy.  This little guy is just another one of those kids with a difficult temperament.  He was just in hysterics for a good 1 1/2 hours while I was there.  Anything would set him off, there was no calming him down.  If another kid touched him, or someone moved him, or gave him a toy, or told him it is ok- he would scream.  I did try bubbles, which he loves, but the bubbles weren't really working cause the wand is broken so that happiness didn't last very long.  Even the workers were just fed up with him.  It was kind of exhausting because it is hard to play with the other kids when he is screaming.

That was really the only low today.  The rest of the time at the orphanage was pretty good.  Queenie was difficult as usual to feed but the snack today was so good.  Sadly I didn't get any but I am sure the kids loved it!  At first I thought it was meat but turns out it was a huge thing of chocolaty something.  Plus a banana.  I just thought it was interesting because it was something new.  But the most interesting part of the orphanage was right before lunchtime.  All of the kids were gathered around one other beds and I was holding Queenie with Lucrez right next to me.  But, a song came on and it was one of the songs where they do la la la over and over.  So I started to sing to Queenie and she started to sing la la la like I was doing!  Then Ada started doing it when Little Blue Diva and Minga started to sing.  So all of us were going la la la before lunch.  It made me realize how much music does connect to the lives of children.  They loved just going la la la as if it were the coolest thing ever!  It was quite a fun time just spending time with my kiddos.

The hospital was another crazy day though!  Luckily one of the girls came with me today because there was another new baby boy!  So there are now four babies on the 5th floor.  It was just alot taking care of them because three of them are very needy as far as wanting to be held.  But the thing is that they should have that right to be held.  I think the hospital is the hardest for me to work at but also the place that needs me the most.  It is hard because these kids really have no one to take care of them.  Like literally no one.  If they are babies they are never held and lucky to get their diaper changed (why we are there).  And I am pretty sure they are never cleaned like the baby I told you about yesterday.  I could go on and on but this kind of thing is everywhere in the world.  So many kids without moms that love them.  The orphanage does there best as far as taking care physically for the kids but babies are so much worth. It takes one person 24/7 to really give a child the emotional care they deserve/need.  I really have come to realize how much care children need.  So while I am here with these kids in Romania I hope that at least the short time I am there they realize they are loved by me.

Tonight me, Elizabeth, and Mihai all went out just walking.  We walked down to the mall and ate at the food court.  It was nice just to be out with friends and get some Shaorma!  It really good just to talk about random topics- it helps me feel less lonely while I am out here knowing despite everything I can still have friends and have a fun time! 

It is already "hump day" and i can't believe wed is already over for me.  This week has gone pretty fast and next week is Halloween!  Gonna be a good one. 

Cu mult drag,

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment