Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Time

Tomorrow is Halloween!  Such a fun day, but yes very crazy busy.  Since Halloween is on a Sunday this year the branch threw a party today.  No, Romanians don't celebrate Halloween but they do know what it is.  I have seen some jack-o-lanterns and ghosts for decorations but nothing like back home.  The "Halloween" isle at Karrfour was practically non-existent.  So the costumes we wore had to come from our wardrobes and imaginations.  Yes, I did dress up!  I went as Minnie Mouse this year.  It really wasn't that hard because my clothes seem to already look like her or something because all I really had to find was ribbon.  I finally found some at the Moldova Mall and it was only 2.5 lei for a meter of red ribbon with white polka dots.  But before I get too much ahead...I should start at the beginning of my day.

I got up early this morning so I could run with someone around 8:00.  He never showed up even though we waited for a little while.  Who knows what happened.  But it is ok because this morning was freezing, aka frost was everywhere and dogs were barking smoke, and I was really tired.  I just went back to sleep since I was up late making cupcakes.  But, I got up again at 10:00am and we started making so more cupcakes and made the frosting.  It was fun, but very time consuming.  They only cook for about 20 minutes but using an electric mixer that gets overheated very fast and using an oven we have to constantly check because it is gas is kind of a pain.  Plus we have to fill a pan with water to put on the bottom of the oven so it doesn't heat up too fast.  Which happened on the last batch we did of cupcakes because I forgot to add water again, like you need to before almost every time, and they burned.

After the second round of cupcakes I hurried home so I could shower.  Another interesting feat because half-way through the week the plastic that holds the hose on the wall broke.  So we have to hold it while we shower making it kind of inconvenient when you are tight on time.  But this is what adventures are made of!  I hurried back over, bringing all of my stuff to change into, and continued to cook, frost, and decorate till 2.  That is when Aurelia showed up with her stuff to get ready as well.  She helped fix my hair, a first in about 2 months, by using her curling iron thing which was just a plastic round brush that blew hot air.  But, it is still better than looking like I do everyday!  Then I got ready and 4 is when the party started!

Sadly, my worker and her family never showed up....but the party was still fun.  There were many people I hadn't seen before, probably investigators, but it was fun because there were lots of little kids as well.  The ward really has no kids so having a Halloween party made it fun with them there.  Our cupcakes were a huge hit!  Many people wanted the recipe even though they don't really have cupcakes here ( I don't think they even have the tins for them).  But they did love them.  The games went over splendidly as well.  We had bobbing for apples, guessing what something was (the touching the things that feel gross), doughnuts on a string, pumpkin carving, and of course costumes.  It really was a blast!

I got home around 6:30 and then got to talk to my parents.  I am super excited to see my family again but it crazy how fast time has been flying!  Many more fun things to come during the week! Lots of pictures being posted on my facebook from today coming soon...

Cu mult drag,

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment