Today has been another great day. It is so surreal how close the end is. We are already half-way through our internship! It really is bittersweet for me. I am going to be so excited to see Andrew and my family, but at the same time I know I will be missing my kiddos when the time comes.
It was another day at the orphanage and hospital. Like many things in life, it is easy for things to become a routine and loose site of the special moments in life. I kind of feel it is easy for me to allow my days at the orphanage and the orphanage to be a routine. But, I say why live life like that? Live it up, because despite how normal and routinish the day may be there is always something that stands out and makes the day become special. So my goal has been to at least one thing that stands out from the orphanage, hospital, and just my general day!
At the orphanage today, it was so good just being with my kiddos. I feel that everyday I learn something new about there personalities. I am so grateful I took my Human Development class before I came because it has allowed me to see the developmental pattern of children. So, I can definitely tell alot of my kids have a natural difficult temperament. This of course is not a good mixture when the workers have to deal with ten kids all day long and keep them from going into hysterics. So, I really try to do my best to treat all of the kids with kindness and not loose my cool. Even though I seriously have to bite back my tongue sometimes. I can see how it is frustrating for them. But, today was a nice day with a few of my kids. Queenie is one of the kids with a difficult temperament, but she is also very clingy and really just wants to be held(not a good mixture). I can see how she wants to though since the kids in the orphanage aren't really held ever because if you do than they will just cry after (which the workers don't really like). So I started doing something yesterday and today that I think kind of helps. When she is in hysterics she causes problems with the other kids so removing her from the situation seems to help. So when something happens that she is hysterics and the workers can't calm her down I grab a doll, don't say anything and just pick her up. I sit down and put her on the bed next to me and do nothing but just sit next to her. That is all alot of them really need to be happy, just sitting next to them or holding them there just helps! It isn't much but I have tried to take charge in calming the kids down who get upset.
At the hospital, I have been with my girls again. It is always such a good day when I go there and they are in a good mood. But, I have also made a goal of leaving the kids on a good note. So this means no hysterics when I leave (which happens if I have been holding them and then put them down). It is not an easy feat by any means! I still try though. Simple things really do make their day. Just blowing on their faces or pushing up and down on the mattress to make it like a mini trampoline just sends them into giggles!
After we went the hospital we went to Iasi Days again! I wish I had all the money in the world and could buy something of everything. There is alot of stuff for women and children especially. I wish I was an aunt or could borrow a child or something just to dress them! They had tons of cute boots, hats, and vests for kids. But, I did make a few more purchases today so I was very excited. Tomorrow they are having fireworks and a concert afterwards. So definitely partying it up here in Iasi.
Another goal me and another girl made was to try to do something whenever we can. I need to live it up while I am here because who knows how many years or if I can ever come back. So by going out and just visiting everything I am able to a full, cultural experience. I am trying to live the dream by doing all the things I can with traveling and learning as much about the world as I can!
Mare vis,
Dani
No comments:
Post a Comment