Thursday, October 14, 2010

Happy Birthday Parascheva!

Today was another amazing day!  Emphasizing on the amazing part!  Today is Parascheva's birthday.  She is the the patron saint of the city, so tons of people from all over Romania came to pay tribute.  So when I woke up this morning to go to the orphanage I saw more people than I have ever seen.  It was worse even than Disneyland if you can believe that.  The tiny sidewalk that has all the tents with vendors was packed.  Like literally there was pushing and shoving like no other.  I have never seen this many people in one area before. 

After the orphanage today me and Megan walked by the Cathedral where they supposedly have the saint's body where you can "touch her hand".  We walked down that main street and again there were tons of people!  We did get to the church and saw lots of vendors in the courtyard.  They were selling flowers and religious souvenirs.  But when we got there, there was sermon being given over the loud speaker.  Towards the entrance it was packed with a crowd just standing around and listening to it.  Seems many were there just paying tribute and celebrating in honor of her birthday.

Then, we went to the hospital, which was a crazy day!  My gag reflexes were really going as one of the girls had lots of boogers (poor thing). I was cleaning her up when her feeding tube came out, covered in snot since she has a bad cold.  I tried putting it back in but eventually had to get a nurse.  And of course at the same time the other girl was screaming. When you are by yourself it is always crazy trying to make everyone happy.

But, the best part of the day was after the hospital when the really part began.  It was close to 6 when we went out and the street was already closed with tons of people just walking.  In front of the Cultural Palace they had a huge stage and a band playing rock music.  We went to Outreach with the branch and then after came to find a place to listen to the music and watch the fireworks.  I have never seen closer, or better fireworks in my whole life!  The band was pretty good, they were kind of older cause they have been around for 25 years but I guess they can still rock it.  But after they finished the fireworks started.  Some of the fireworks they showed I had never even seen those types before.  It was so, so cool.  The show lasted a half an hour and in the states it would have been a major legal violation for sure.  The fireworks were the closest I had ever seen before.  So close that the falling ash was going into the crowd.  A piece of ash fell and burned a hole in a little girl's hat right next to us!  But it was so worth it, even despite the cold.  Feeling the festive spirit of the big Iasi Day celebration made my week.

I am loving the unique experience I am getting while I am here and hope to have many more soon. 

Mare vis,

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment