Another week has flashed away in a blink of an eye. The more time that passes by the more I realize what everyone means by living every moment to its best potential. Because once they are gone you will never get it back. Not to mention that I am really beginning to realize what an amazing experience it is being here. Who knows when I will get to come back? So, I am really going to try to live up this experience the best I can!
Today, was just one of those days. To be honest I wanted nothing more than to just sleep the entire day and miss today's hours of work entirely. For me, traveling just wears me out. Yesterday was so fun-filled it just took it out of my for today. But, I couldn't let today go to waste so I went to work anyways. As a random side note, I once read that depending on what you called what you do determines how much it really means to you. For instance if you call it a job, than it is nothing more than a necessity that one is forced to do in order to get by in life. If you call it a career than you have sacrificed to become what you work at. It goes on and on with a list of things including work and your passion. But one of the highest levels of showing that you love what you do is when you call it your calling. It has become something you would do know matter what because it is what you are meant to do in life. I hope to someday find what my calling is in life. So what do I call what I am doing now? I honestly don't know. Not work because I think what I am trying to do actually makes a difference to me. Maybe I will find out what to call it by the time I leave.
To make my exhaustion worse I almost regretted going today. The kids were, as my parents would say, "on fire!" They were just something else entirely. Most of them just acted up and I was of course left with them (meaning about 7 of them at a time), by myself for a little while. It was pure craziness! Sunshine even fell out of his walker thing twice because it broke. Twice! Poor thing, but I did rush over to him those times because he is just a little baby and it looked like it hurt. Normally, the workers just tell me it is ok when a kid will fall or slam his head on the floor because if you don't react than they don't. I can see their point sometimes but I am glad they made an exception today. Also, Lucrez wasn't such the little helper today. When the workers left to feed two of the other kids and I was alone I saw him act out. He kicked Dumpling in the stomach and even slapped 3 of the other kids across the head. It was really sad to see him like this but he must have got it from somewhere. I am sure it has to do with alot of things, for one he is just little boy, and others because maybe he sees an opportunity to be in charge a little for once. Sad, but hopefully I can just remain patient and treat all of the kids with kindness no matter how much they frustrate me sometimes.
On a happy note I am really liking my workers. The more I am there the more they are coming to like me, at least I hope. Mama Dorina, as they always call her, is like a grandma to me and the kids. She stands out from other workers because she really does show that she loves all the kids. It is easy to love and show the kids attention that are "more normal" but it is always amazing to see when all of them are treated with kindness and love. She even gave me la masa today for the first time. The workers sometimes switch on me so I kind of have to change how I act depending on how they do but I am proud of myself for taking the initiative in work unlike how I did in the beginning. As I am relaxing around them, they are giving me more freedom. For instance, I usually just take the kids out of beds or chairs now and put the bibs myself on them before the la masa. It isn't much but with a slight language barrier I am pretty proud of myself.
To end today off at the orphanage I had a little fun with Dumpling. The workers like to get ready for la masa like 20 minutes early. It is kind of crazy because they want the kids to all sit on the beds and wait for it, not easy at all when 6 out of the 8 of them are around 2. So yeah crazy. But, Dumpling was a little cranky today cause he gets really hungry before so I sat him on my lap and pretended my legs were a car. I made motorcycle noises with my mouth and even turned him this way and that to give him the full experience. He loved it! He was laughing and all of the other kids were just watching us in awe. Despite the craziness of trying to settle the kids down it is always fun because it is a chance for me to hold the kids. Three of them will usually just come up and sit on me while I hold them because most all of them love to be held. I think it is a slight attachment disorder but I try to hold them when it doesn't cause problems because they do enjoy it so much.
The hospital was another good day. Only 4 of us went because we were all so tired. But, I am glad that I went and I even stayed a little longer than usual. Megan and I were partners today and we visited like 3 different floors. It was actually a good experience for me to just walk around visiting lots of different kids in different conditions. We started at the ICU and changed two preemie-twins' diapers. One was asleep but the other one took a little calming down. They are two months old but because they were premature they are so tiny! We then went to the other side of the ICU were a little boy was from the orphanage. He is four years old and actually was in my room in the past before his surgery. He was a bright little boy who had the largest vocabulary in all of the orphanage but when he had a brain hemorrhage and a failed surgery he just wasn't the same. He kept giving us kisses and he really is still a doll. We stayed with him a while before heading up. we then went up to the 2nd floor where there were about 4 kids without moms. We changed all of their diapers and visited a bit with all of them. They were all still little babies but still so sweet. We also gave diapers to two other kids without moms that weren't babies. We even gave out our first adult diaper that the past girls had accidentally bought to give to a boy who was a little older. Good thing, cause today it came in handy :) We finished on the 5th floor where there were the two little girls I usually always have. One of them was back from the ICU (she is the one from the orphanage) but she didn't look as good as usual poor thing.
It is just that time of the year because all of the kids at the orphanage and the hospital seems to have a cold. So today was lots of boogers, something I hate the most. I sucked it up and did it anyways cause I love my kiddos so much, but that doesn't mean that my gag reflex wasn't going. It was very character building today let me tell you.
Again, I am so grateful to have such a unique cultural and service experience. I am loving it and happy that this week was a good one. Next week will be amazing as well since it is Iasi Days! So any souvenirs I get it will be then. Tents are already lining the streets getting ready for it. That's all for today!
Cu mult drag,
Dani
No comments:
Post a Comment